Who can ever forget Lillee kicking Miandad and Miandad rushing at him with his bat?
A relic of a bygone era?
- A week or so ago, Rilee Roussow was fined fifty per cent. of his match fees for shoulder-barging Tamim Iqbal during an ODI game.
- Tamim Iqbal is in the news again today. This time for rubbing shoulders with Quinton de Kock while walking off the field for lunch.
- Mustafizur Rahman was fined fifty per cent. of his match fees on debut for making contact with Dhoni. Dhoni was fined seventy five per cent. for the same offence.
- The Trent Bridge saga last year where Jimmy allegedly abused and pushed Jadeja in the corridor and Dhoni threatened “to squeeze the juice” out of Anderson.
- Warner’s alcohol fuelled punch-up with Joe Root in a bar in the last Ashes in England.
- Kieron Pollard throwing his bat at Mitchell Starc during an IPL game.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQ6dhBTy8iU
- Marlon Samuels throwing his bat over Shane Warne’s head in a Big Bash game.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2YxZe_c7-0
- Gambhir elbowing Watson.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3RQk-Hi7Ijw
- Gambhir elbowing Afridi.
Why has cricket descended into this poor advertisement for WWF ?
The simple answer is that the ICC is a limp organisation with no teeth. Fines mean nothing to these players. Something more drastic needs to be done before the gentleman’s game disappears for good.
Try banning a misbehaving player for two months for proven verbal abuse and a year or longer for players who are judged to have made intentional physical contact or threatened the physical well-being of an opposition player and see how quickly teams drop the macho act. Cricket may even go back to being a game of bat and ball!
Michael Clarke recently spoke about England and Australia “head-butting the line” but not crossing it.
What does that even mean?
What is this line?
Who has drawn it and who polices it?
Are head-butts next?
If kids are watching, unplug the TV.