With the World Twenty20 fast approaching, we thought it was be nice to do a short series on our favourite moments from the WorldT20s so far.
#1 The bowl-out, India v Pakistan (2007, Durban)
Kingsmead, Durban. Traditional rivals India and Pakistan go head-to-head. With Pakistan having qualified for the super-eights, India have more to lose – a big loss in this game would knock them out in the preliminary rounds of the inaugural WorldT20. After the disaster earlier in the year (in the 2007 World Cup in the West Indies), India could ill-afford another early exit.
Things did not start well for India with Asif taking 4 for 18 in his spell. Still, India managed to get to 141 with the help of a Robin Uthappa fifty and contributions by Dhoni and Pathan.
Pakistan responded with a Misbah fifty and the equation was soon reduced to manageable proportions – 1 to win off the last 2 balls bowled by Sreeshanth. Incredibly, Pakistan failed to score the run and the match was tied with Misbah being run-out off the last ball.
Both team had qualified for the super-eights but the drama was not over. International cricket’s first and last “bowl-out” was about to commence!
The players lined up arm in arm, like footballers for a penalty shoot-out. Five bowlers would bowl at unguarded stumps. Whichever team hit the stumps more often would win.
- Sehwag strolled in for India. Hop, skip, boom – India had the first hit!
- Yasir Arafat for Pakistan. Full on the offside. Miss!
- Harbhajan bowled his usual leg and middle line to clip the top of leg – 2 hits to India!
- Umar Gul. Perfect line and length in the corridor of uncertainly. Miss!
- Uthappa with his cap on. Seam-up and the cap was being doffed – 3 out of 3 to India!
- Quicker one from Afridi. Down leg side – Pakistan’s third miss and it was all over!
What a surreal way to end the game!
Here are highlights of the game and the bowl-out:
Do you have a favourite moment from the World T20s? Let us know in the comments section.