Revenge is a dish best served after two weeks.
A couple of interesting things have happened since Monday.
One, AllOutCricket wrote a great article on Virat Kohli, questioning whether his classnessness was sullying his class.
Two, the WI under-19 team mankaded their way to the quarter finals of the under-19 World Cup.
Let’s take a look at the second one first.
Having watched highlights of the game yesterday, I can confirm that for 99 overs, it was a cracking game of cricket. There was some seriously quick bowling from young Alzarri Joseph. A direct hit from the West Indian skipper took the 9th wicket. The game went into the last over with three runs to win and the last man in. Then, this happened. Read More
Who can ever forget Lillee kicking Miandad and Miandad rushing at him with his bat?
A relic of a bygone era?
- A week or so ago, Rilee Roussow was fined fifty per cent. of his match fees for shoulder-barging Tamim Iqbal during an ODI game.
- Tamim Iqbal is in the news again today. This time for rubbing shoulders with Quinton de Kock while walking off the field for lunch.
- Mustafizur Rahman was fined fifty per cent. of his match fees on debut for making contact with Dhoni. Dhoni was fined seventy five per cent. for the same offence.
- The Trent Bridge saga last year where Jimmy allegedly abused and pushed Jadeja in the corridor and Dhoni threatened “to squeeze the juice” out of Anderson.
- Warner’s alcohol fuelled punch-up with Joe Root in a bar in the last Ashes in England.
- Kieron Pollard throwing his bat at Mitchell Starc during an IPL game.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQ6dhBTy8iU
- Marlon Samuels throwing his bat over Shane Warne’s head in a Big Bash game.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2YxZe_c7-0
- Gambhir elbowing Watson.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3RQk-Hi7Ijw
- Gambhir elbowing Afridi.
Why has cricket descended into this poor advertisement for WWF ?
The simple answer is that the ICC is a limp organisation with no teeth. Fines mean nothing to these players. Something more drastic needs to be done before the gentleman’s game disappears for good. Read More
Getting ready for work, I watched a few balls of the India-Bangladesh test match this morning.
Rahane was batting with Saha and it was obvious they were both looking to push the score along to try and declare. Rahane went to 94 with a boundary over mid-wicket, then swept the next one square to get to 98.
Next ball, he went back to pull, looking for his third boundary in a row. Bowled.
Out for 98. Read More